Better Late than Never

Well, I know I promised a post over the weekend, but Wednesday's close enough, right? This weekend I decided that my porch desperately needed some sprucing up. My mom had seen a wicker loveseat on sale at Pier 1 that matches my to wicker chairs perfectly. Once we got it home, I noticed that it made the rest of my porch furniture look that much more shabby (and not in a good way). I decided to take inspiration from Anna at Door Sixteen and paint the fabric of my glider chair. I had made new covers for it a few years ago which faded - a lot - and I know that there was no way that I would have the time to recover it again in the near future. I took some old leftover paint and painted right over the pattern of the fabric. I was originally going to put a few coats on to make the color opaque, but when I put the first coat on and saw how it allowed the pattern to show through, I decided to keep it that way. My fiance and parents thought I was a bit crazy, but I like how it turned out.
I may decide to spray paint the rusted steel base to the chair to make it look more like the aluminum of the rest of the chair, but not right now. Here it is with the rest of the porch furniture. I'm going to make a pillow or two to tie things together a bit, and maybe get one of those outdoor rugs.On another note, while at Pier 1, I also found a light fixture for over the dining room table. I know I said I was going to do the DIY one from Apartment Therapy, but this one is more transparent and doesn't have as much visual weight in the room. Sorry for the blurry photo, I didn't have my tripod with me when I took it. My only concern is that it matches too well. I'm trying not to let this room get too matchy matchy and formal, which is starting to happen. Also, there's a lot of brown in the room (especially if I paint the radiator bronze). I think need to make some fun seat covers to brighten things up a bit.What do you think? Is it too much?

Comments

Samantha said…
I would have been a doubter about the fabric paint, too, but it works.

Cool pendant light. There is a lot of brown going on the dining room. But you could always throw in some white or graphic-y pattern on the chair cushions or with a rug. I am by no means an expert, though.
Lizzie said…
I love the light fixture. Add some art or colorful fabric and the room will be delightful.
Lisa said…
I think the light fixture looks gorgeous with the brown of the table and agree with adding a splash of color elsewhere in the room.
Marsha said…
I love all the soft greens and yellow on the porch. Peaceful, clean and modern. I could easily waste an afternoon there :-)
Anonymous said…
Source of the pendant? Looks great.
Elissa said…
The lamp came from Pier 1.

http://www.pier1.com/Catalog/HomeAccentsD%C3%A9cor/HomeAccentsD%C3%A9cor/tabid/508/CategoryID/133/List/0/catpagesize/25/Level/a/ProductID/848/ProductName/Hanging-Maki-Wicker-Lamp/Default.aspx
abeachcottage said…
loving the glider and your blog

Sarah
Jean Martha said…
LOVE that lighting fixture!
elissa,

I love the ceiling - light blue? i think (light) color on the ceiling is the best...it's so soothing. so, i was rereading the d*s post and realized i misspelled the name of the fridge: it's fisher & paykel. i'm sure you've found it online by now, but...i just clicked on your name and brought me here. glad i could stop by - you have a lovely blog, and what looks like a beautiful house!

all my best,
-maria
Georgia Peachez said…
I really like that light fixture. I love how you painted the seat covers on the porch. I'm a firm believer in painting anything that doesn't move. It's just paint, right? xo, suzy

Popular Posts