Getting the green back

I've noticed that this blog has become almost entirely about my house and not enough about green issues or anything else. To try to get some balance around here I'm going to highly recommend reading any book by Michael Pollan. I have a bit of a gardening & food crush on him and his writing. Even though he lives out in California now, he is originally from right here on Long Island believe it or not. If you're not familiar with his work he started out writing about gardening. Not how to books, but about his experiences in the garden. From there his interests found their way to food and our food system. I read his first book called "Second Nature" in college. It is a great read for an amateur gardener out there. His most recent books,"The Omnivore's Dilemma" and "In Defense of Food" are about our food system and how we eat. "The Omnivore's Dilemma" is incredibly interesting (to me anyway) but at 464 pages it's a bit of an undertaking. The more recent "In Defense of Food" is a much easier read and in many ways more relevant to how we live. If you interested in looking at your food in an entirely different way I definitely recommend these.

Comments

lillie said…
glad you posted this, elissa! i read the omnivore's dilemma last year and really enjoyed it. i appreciate the reminder that i have to reserve in defense of food at my local library. sounds good!
lillie said…
also wanted to thank you for sharing the great resources about green urbanism. i haven't dug into them yet, but they are bookmarked and ready for reading. thanks for taking the time to share!
Elissa said…
no problem! It's one of those things that I feel the more people know about it, the better.

Popular Posts