Big girl bed!

A million years ago, when our darling daughter was still in diapers, I saw this Ikea hack in an issue of Domino and thought it could be a cute idea for our daughter's room someday.  Maybe a year or so ago I showed it to her and she latched onto it so much, that any other bed I showed her she would tell me "it's nice, but it doesn't have a ladder or space to play underneath with curtains." Seriously.


Well, the time has now come for a big girl bed, so our next house project is making this come to life.  I found a used Kura bed for less than half price in a local Facebook group, and picked up a new mattress and pillow after work one night.  Now it's time for the fun part!



You may have guessed, the girl likes purple!  There is a bit of orchid/lilac color in her existing rug, so I tried to stick with shades that would coordinate.  I also wanted to tie into the aqua color on her walls and in the rug.  The walls, ceiling and rug are staying from when we originally made the room a nursery.  I included them on the moodboard mostly to give context.  (For those who may love the ceiling color, we actually had it mixed at 50% to reduce the intensity)  Outside her window is a view of the small patch of woods next door.  I liked the "woodsy" feel of these prints to connect to the view outside.

Before we assemble the bed (which has been sitting in pieces in our hallway for a couple weeks) I'm going to cover the visible sides of the panels with the purple fabric.  I'm still figuring out how to adhere it.  Suggestions are welcome.  The curtains will be hung from dowels attached with eye hooks, and I plan to sew the top sheet from each set of sheets together into a duvet cover to make it easier to make the bed.  Everything has been ordered and most of it is scheduled to arrive on Friday, so I will have a busy weekend ahead.  I'll post pictures once it's done.

Comments

Popular Posts